Subject: Re: C= going down...
From: [email-masked] (Mike Farren)
Date: Mon, 2 May 1994 01:46:57 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.hardware

[email-masked] (Zsolt Szabo) writes:

>Notice also that the Operating System was created by one able programmer 
>at Metacomco, who later disappeared (apparently). C= may have changed the 
>looks of Intuition, but aside of a few insignificant additions the OS is 
>still the same. That is, all those data types, etc. may be useful and 
>neat, but the actual multitasking system is still the same.

Bad history.  Actually, the Amiga OS can be divided into two parts: DOS,
as in "dos.library", and everything else.  Everything else, which includes
Intuition, Exec, graphics.library, and *most* of what makes an Amiga an
Amiga, was developed by the group of folks including R.J. Mical, Carl
Sassenrath, etc., at Amiga Los Gatos, and was done even before Commodore
bought them.  The DOS part was done by Metacomco, and was a simple 
rewrite of an existing OS called Tripos, developed at Cambridge (England,
of course), and written in BCPL - which is why there's those pesky 
BPTRS and all.  Metacomco was hired to do the DOS when Commodore
needed, desperately, to get the Amiga out the door and the original
DOS was falling behind schedule.  It would have been neat, though :-)
To give them credit where credit is due, Metacomco *did* manage to get
a working system out (if you call that working :-) very quickly...

-- 
Michael J. Farren                       [email-masked]

"Are we getting paid for this?"
"You don't."